President Barack Obama delivered a policy speech in Delaware on transportation infrastructure with the announcement that a civilian passenger jet had been downed near the Russian-Ukrainian border. The president then inexplicably pivoted directly into some kind of jokey schmooze mode, tossing jestful remarks at the audience regarding Vice-President Biden and Treasury Secretary Jack Lew.
The InterWeb Was Not Amused
Obama, in sum: A plane crashed. It may be tragic. We're trying to see if US citizens were on board. Hey, great to be in Delaware!
— Matt Viser (@mviser) July 17, 2014
President Obama massively dropped the ball just now. 23 Americans killed and he says 'it looks like a terrible tragedy' then back to jokes?
— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) July 17, 2014
Obama's take on airplane being shot down: Never let a "terrible tragedy" get in the way of a coupla good one liners.
— woot6 (@woot6) July 17, 2014
The UK’s Daily Mail soon printed their astonished reaction
The President was evidently well-aware of the Malaysian aircraft shoot-down long before he arrived on-scene in Delaware, as the Washington Examiner reports … this was no off-the-cuff performance.
The White House was at first prudent and hesitated to comment on the issue, the president reportedly ignoring NBC News’ Kristen Welker when she asked after he emerged this afternoon from the Oval Office whether he knew anything about the crash. But as the situation began to unfold and more details became available, President Obama decided later during a campaign-style speech in Delaware to deliver a few quick remarks on the tragedy –40 seconds worth.
Despite The Unfolding Tragedy, The Day was Ripe For Burgers, Fries and Photo’s
President's schedule unchanged – he's now at the Charcoal Pit near Wilmington where he ordered the "Pit Special" – burger & fries.
— Jonathan Karl (@jonkarl) July 17, 2014
This president only forsakes photo-op’s near the Texas border
Obama should really get that to go.
— Noah Rothman (@NoahCRothman) July 17, 2014
No sooner then washing down his All-American lunch, Obama was winging his way toward NYC fundraisers, before the remnants of Malaysian flight 17 had time to fall from it’s 33,000 foot cruising altitude.
Bricks Don’t Fall This Hard
While it is tempting to dismiss the convergence of the presidents pre-planned events as a product of circumstance, not even the most forgiving observer could attribute the president’s actions during a time of tragedy as simply being caught off-guard. It’s just not conceivable that such a political deafness of tone could emerge from an leader attuned empathetically to his constituency.
The fact is, Barack Obama simply doesn’t care. From the moment he announced his candidacy in February of 2007, it’s always been about him. Only Barack Obama could heal this nation, or so he told us. Few doubt this man has a narcissistic personality disorder. He is the “I, Me, My” president. After almost six years of Barack Obama, we find ourselves a nation more divided than at any time since the Civil War.
Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
In order for a person to be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) they must meet five or more of the following symptoms:
- Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
- Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
- Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
- Requires excessive admiration
- Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
- Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
- Lacks empathy, e.g., is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
- Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
- Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
But is it something more than narcissism? Could it be a far more serious personality disorder? Is President Obama a psychopath?
PsychCentral offers a simple quiz to help determine psychopathic tendencies:
1. Most would describe me as charming and nonchalant — I can turn my charm on and off like a faucet.
2. I do what I want, when I want, the moment the impulse strikes me, regardless of what others want.
3. If something goes wrong or turns out badly, it’s not my fault.
4. I’ve gotten into legal or criminal trouble as an adult
5. I am easily the best at what I do, bar none — nobody could ever take my place.
6. I do whatever I feel like doing, and I don’t care what others think — or even if it’s illegal.
7. Every person for themselves; I don’t see the point in feeling sorry for other people and have no desire to help others.
8. I’ve gotten into legal or criminal trouble when I was a teenager
9. I have no problem or concern in lying in order to get what I want.
10. “Live in the moment” is what I say; the future will take care of itself and learning from your past is pointless.
11. I never feel remorse, shame or guilt about something I’ve said or done.
12. I don’t see the point in taking on responsibilities of any kind
How would our president honestly answer these questions? If he took this test, how would he be evaluated?
The contrast to all of the president’s self-absorption is the fact that 298 human beings lost every hope and dream they held for themselves and their loved ones on this day.
In 1983, an American president faced a similar circumstance. His response was “remarkably’ different.
President Reagan After The Soviet Shoot-Down of KAL 007
No doubt, Obama handlers (such as he allows) are studying President Reagan’s 1983 address to the nation, and now have Barack Obama sitting in front of a White House mirror practicing his mimicry of how leadership reacts to crisis.
The question for a growing number of Americans is: How much more damage will President Obama be allowed to inflict upon this nation in the two and half years he has remaining in office.